What We Do
Amid volatile markets and turbulent global politics, FTI Consulting believes it is critical for firm leadership to remain vigilant of the political risk to its operations and reputation; constantly assessing the domestic, regional, and global political landscapes to manage and mitigate risk when events materialize and threaten value. In every major political capital in the world, our Public and Government Affairs specialists advise executive teams, boards of directors, and their legal and financial advisors in leveraging public affairs strategies to manage and mitigate political risk, deliver results, and protect value.
Our multi-disciplined approach to risk management includes counsel from our global network of experts in media affairs, civic engagement, and government relations, as well as our in-house political intelligence and policy research capabilities. These teams work collaboratively to ensure our clients receive the best and most informed guidance possible.
Our work centers around the political risk to business objectives that is heightened when government and political actors have a disproportionate impact on outcomes, including:
Regulatory and legislative change; Sudden changes in domestic, regional, and global public policy can have unintended consequences on business strategies;
Transactions requiring regulatory approval; FTI works closely with our client’s financial and legal teams to organize thoughtful and tailored strategies to address various government concerns, and to increase deal certainty.
Investigations and punitive actions initiated by the government; Governments around the world are increasing their scrutiny of business practices; companies should be prepared to educate oversight authorities on the integrity of their business practices.
Litigation and arbitration involving governments; FTI works closely with our client’s legal advisors to ensure key arguments are properly understood by external audiences whose perspectives contribute to the court of public opinion.
Overview of Our Teams
- Energy: Our team is the largest energy and natural resources specific strategic communications practice in the country. Our clients span the globe and the energy value chain – from supermajors to large and small independents, independent power producers, electric utilities, service companies, renewables, and everything in between. Our team has been engaged in some of the most high-profile industry issues over the past decade, including activist efforts to ban fracking and pipeline construction, the Macondo oil spill, and the repeal of the oil exports ban, to name a few.
- Financial Services: Our financial services team is comprised of policy experts that served in high profile roles within the White House, federal financial regulators, Capitol Hill and financial media allowing us to leverage our experience and intelligence for clients. Together with our Government Affairs, Crisis and Litigation, and Corporate Reputation practices, we are uniquely qualified to help clients navigate complex challenges at the intersection of government and business. Our strong integration among DC, New York and our global teams facilitates compelling corporate narratives that resonate in Washington and beyond. The FTI Financial Services Public Affairs team advises banks, fintechs, asset managers, private equity, payment providers, insurers and digital asset firms, on regulatory and legislative change, financial transactions, litigation, and government investigations. Whether its raising a company’s profile in Washington or defending its license to operate, our team is well-positioned to serve the needs of the financial services sector.
- Government Affairs: Our bipartisan team of government relations experts leverage relationships they have established with members of Congress, federal agencies, trade associations, and other stakeholders so that we can make a thorough assessment of the situation and guide clients with the best information. Our team has decades of experience developing policy proposals, writing, and passing legislation, preparing testimony for congressional hearings, pushing regulatory changes and negotiating with senior officials. All that expertise is supported by a first-in-class information hub made possible by FTI’s global consulting platform.
- Healthcare & Life Sciences: Our healthcare and life sciences team integrate experience in corporate communications with deep knowledge of investor relations, capital markets, public affairs, and government relations to enhance and safeguard our clients’ reputations. We take a holistic and global view of clients’ communications needs and develop unique communications solutions that help them effectively engage stakeholders and achieve business objectives in a complex and dynamic environment. With a client base of more than 100 clients ranging from small, private biotech to mid-level and blue-chip pharma and medtech companies, FTI’s Healthcare & Life Sciences practice is well-positioned to provide expert counsel tailored to companies’ specific needs.
- Industrials: Our industrials team takes a comprehensive approach to navigating the landscape our clients face wherein politics, regulation, public opinion, and capital markets intersect. We advance our clients’ freedom to operate by providing insight, strategy, and expertise to effectively engage stakeholders around critical moments of change to achieve successful business outcomes.
- Technology & Telecom: Supported by our public affairs and government affairs advisory, our TMT expertise extends across the globe through Washington, Brussels, London, and Hong Kong, with focus areas including privacy, broadband deployment, competition, intellectual property, and artificial intelligence. We work with clients to develop communications programs that work under a unified positioning and message strategy yet employ a broad range of tactics and channels tailored to reach and impact individual audiences essential to corporate brand building and reputation management.
What You Will Do
A Public or Government Affairs intern or consultant plays an active role on a project team, supporting the wider sector team and the client on a day-to-day basis. In addition to performing critical research and analysis, which will be the basis of the team’s strategic recommendations that will inform client and new business strategies, you will draft and edit a variety of communications materials (e.g., memos, legislative analysis, press releases, presentations, emails, pitch decks, and web content) on a regular basis.
You will assist with media pitching and outreach, complete tasks such as identifying key outlets and reporters, drafting memos for reporter briefings, and directly reach out to reporters on behalf of our clients.
As an intern or consultant, you will be expected to keep your team apprised of trends, news and market updates that could impact our clients, ensuring your team can identify opportunities and risks for the clients and industries we serve.
What We Offer You
FTI Strategic Communications interns and consultants are an immediate member of the team and are viewed as key players in our ability to service clients. Upon starting, you will participate in a training program, which includes an introduction to FTI’s business offerings, as well as more functional trainings on the databases and processes we utilize to service clients each day. Our training program is designed to introduce entry-level candidates to the inner workings of an international communications firm and to help develop essential written and oral communication skills required for this industry. We also utilize in-house and third-party learning platforms to offer ongoing training sessions to ensure that you continue to build on your analytical, writing and management skills as you continue to grow at FTI.
You’ll be working alongside industry experts from all walks of life – former reporters, government officials and employees, lawyers, and investment analysts. Individually, each practice is a leader in its specific field, staffed with experts recognized for the depth of their knowledge and a track record of making an impact. Collectively, FTI Consulting offers a comprehensive suite of services designed to assist clients across the business cycle – from proactive risk management to the ability to respond rapidly to unexpected events and dynamic environments.
FTI is prides itself on teaching, growing and building talent internally and is repeatedly recognized as a Top Place to Work in PR in part because we take the time to understand individual career goals, train you to achieve them and provide opportunities to do so.
Given how we staff accounts, we also offer early and direct exposure to a wide array of senior level leadership and clients and, opportunities to work across the business and flexible work schedules.
The Public Affairs team is based within the Strategic Communications practice and has teams in DC, New York City, Chicago, Houston, Pittsburgh, and Denver but we proudly deliver unmatched breadth and depth of expertise across our worldwide network. We often collaborate with engagement teams across North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific and Europe, Middle East & Africa.
At this time, we are recruiting for Traditional Internship, Consultant, Sr. Consultant (MBA) and MBA Internships. To view open positions click here and select the category that fits with where you are in your recruiting journey.