What we do
The Data & Analytics team delivers strategic business solutions for clients requiring in-depth analysis of large, disparate sets of financial, operational and transactional data.
The Data & Analytics (D&A) practice is a high-performing team that works across both corporate engagements and litigation matters to deliver data-driven solutions to our clients.
Our team identifies, acquires and transforms vast amounts of critical client information, then uses our business and industry expertise to analyze problems or opportunities to identify and create solutions.
As experts in analytics, data science and data management, the D&A team is involved in engagements requiring advanced data analysis methodologies that span the areas of corporate strategy, litigation, investigations, disputes, compliance, regulatory support, financial crime, fraud, analytics for performance improvement, and application development. The team employs a range of analytics tools and techniques as well as expert data engineering capabilities to deliver solutions.
Cross-Border Money Laundering Criminal Investigation
Outside counsel to a European bank that was subject to a financial crime investigation involving several Baltic countries as well as the U.S engaged FTI for data analytics support. The D&A team spearheaded the engagement and deployed a secure environment with dedicated Oracle and SQL databases and protected multiple terabytes of client data. The D&A team developed a tokenized name-matching solution that could be re-deployed for other engagements and leveraged its proprietary project management tool to effectively manage a team of 30+ individuals working with outside counsel to finalize a report documenting the investigation to be submitted to government regulators.
Multi-District Litigation Support
A large automotive company faced an investigation due to significant product liability exposure from a multi-district litigation, as well as numerous investigations by regulatory entities related to an issue with its customer vehicles. FTI was hired to facilitate the strategic response to the company’s electronically stored information issues, including the systematic identification, collection, and production of multiple enterprise databases. FTI’s D&A team identified, acquired and analyzed disparate datasets and documents from the client’s internal IT systems representing customer response data and vehicle issue related transactional data related to the alleged issues. The D&A team consolidated multiple data sources and normalized data anomalies into structured data productions for regulatory entities, reviewed and analyzed millions of transactional records, and provided daily support to engagement counsel.
Process Improvement, Application Development & Dashboarding
A Fortune 100 global, hospitality company operated an antiquated and fragmented financial system across its brands and business segments and lacked an automated, online sales tracking and forecasting system. The company turned to FTI’s D&A team to design and execute a refreshable and auditable financial system, a web tool for its sales team as well as an integrated sales and profitability platform using SQL and Tableau.
Manipulation of Trading System Investigation
FTI was engaged by the Independent Audit Committee of a bank, in the investigation of trading activities, reporting practices, and the functionality of their proprietary trading system. The investigation involved deconstruction of the proprietary trading systems and computer code, review of system controls, and reporting functionality. FTI reported the findings of the investigation to various U.S. Government Agencies, including the SEC, DOJ and FBI.
What You Will Do
A Data & Analytics Intern or Consultant is responsible for day-to-day activities of a project including reviewing and organizing client data, conducting analyses on various data sets using a variety of tools, and interacting with internal and external team members.
Day-to-day tasks include:
- Identifying, researching and organizing information to assess the appropriateness and sufficiency of available data to facilitate effective data access and analysis
- Identifying relationships among multiple sources and types of information to facilitate effective data analysis
- Analyze and interpret historical financial, operational and transactional data
- Assist with preparation of reports, written analyses, trial and other presentations, quantitative exhibits and other client deliverables regarding project scope and/or results of work performed
- Maintain detailed working records reflecting assumptions, methodologies and information sources employed during the performance of all analytical tasks
- Participate in client meetings to review results of work performed
- Maintain professional image within the company and project the same to those outside of the company
- Interact with team members, professionals from other firms involved in the engagement, and client personnel
- Strong work ethic, eagerness to learn and motivation to succeed
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a high-paced, multi-task environment with attention to detail
- Flexibility with respect to assigned tasks and engagements due to challenging deadlines, changing deliverables and evolving task priorities
- Ability to interface with team members and client personnel in demanding, deadline-driven situations
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and excellent communication (written and spoken) skills
- Ability and desire to utilize technology to solve complex problems
- Familiarity with programming languages (g., SQL, VBA, Python, Java) and other database applications are preferred, but not required
Flexibility to travel is required
What we offer you
Our Interns and Consultants play an important role throughout each of our projects, collaborating with team members on project strategy and execution, performing research and analysis, developing insights and conclusions and creating client deliverables
The smaller makeup of our engagement teams offers exposure to executive-level stakeholders and provides the opportunity to experience and work on a wide range of projects early in your career.
The Data & Analytics practice is based within the Forensic and Litigation Consulting segment and has its core teams located in Boston, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, DC.
At this time, we are recruiting for Traditional Internship, Consultant, Sr. Consultant (MBA) and MBA Internships. To view open positions click here and select the category that fits with where you are in your recruiting journey.