What we do
The Data & Analytics team delivers strategic business solutions for clients requiring in-depth analysis of large, disparate sets of financial, operational and transactional data.
Our team of experienced consultants identifies, acquires and transforms vast amounts of critical client information, then uses FTI’s business and industry expertise to analyze problems or opportunities and identify and create solutions. FTI professionals conduct these analyses focusing on a wide variety of engagements, including litigation, investigations and regulatory support, data analytics for performance improvement, dashboarding and data visualization, and application development for client projects.
Cross-Border Money Laundering Criminal Investigation
Outside counsel to a European bank that was subject to a financial crime investigation involving several Baltic countries as well as the U.S engaged FTI for data analytics support. The Data & Analytics team spearheaded the engagement and deployed a secure environment with dedicated Oracle and SQL dbs and protected multiple terabytes of client data. The D&A team developed a tokenized name-matching solution that could be re-deployed for other engagements and leveraged its proprietary project management tool to effectively manage a team of 30+ individuals working with outside counsel to finalize a report documenting the investigation to be submitted to government regulators.
Multi-district litigation support
A large automotive company faced an investigation due to significant product liability exposure from a multidistrict litigation, as well as numerous investigations by regulatory entities related to an issue with its customer vehicles. FTI was hired to facilitate the strategic response to the company’s electronically stored information issues, including the systematic identification, collection, and production of multiple enterprise databases. FTI’s D&A team identified, acquired and analyzed disparate datasets and documents from the client’s internal IT systems representing customer response data and vehicle issue related transactional data related to the alleged issues. The D&A team consolidated multiple data sources and normalized data anomalies into structured data productions for regulatory entities, reviewed and analyzed millions of transactional records, and provided daily support to engagement counsel.
A Fortune 100 global, hospitality company operated an antiquated and fragmented financial system across its brands and business segments and lacked an automated, online sales tracking and forecasting system. The company turned to FTI’s Data & Analytics team to design and execute refreshable and auditable financial system, a web tool for its sales team as well as an integrated sales and profitability platform using SQL and Tableau.
Manipulation of trading system investigation
FTI was engaged by the Independent Audit Committee of a bank, in the investigation of trading activities, reporting practices, and the functionality of their proprietary trading system. The investigation involved deconstruction of the proprietary trading systems and computer code, review of system controls, and reporting functionality. FTI reported the findings of the investigation to various U.S. Government Agencies, including the SEC, DOJ and FBI.
What You Will Do
A Data & Analytics Intern or Consultant at the undergrad or MBA level is responsible for day-to-day activities of a project including interaction with other team members, professionals from other firms involved in the engagement, and client personnel.
Tasks range from identifying, researching, and organizing information to assess the appropriateness and sufficiency of available data to facilitate effective data access and analysis. The Intern or Consultant will also identify the relationships among multiple sources and types of information to facilitate effective data analysis; analyze and interpret historical financial, operational, and transactional data.
Additional tasks include
- Assist with preparation of reports, written analyses, trial and other presentations, quantitative exhibits, and other client deliverables regarding project scope and/or results of work performed;
- Maintain detailed working records reflecting assumptions, methodologies, and information sources employed during the performance of all analytical tasks;
- Participate in client meetings to review results of work performed; and
- Maintain professional image within the company and project the same to those outside of the company.
Flexibility to travel is needed.
What we offer you
Our interns and consultants play an important role throughout each of our projects, collaborating with team members on project design, performing research and analysis, and developing insights and conclusions.
The smaller makeup of our engagement teams offers exposure to executive-level stakeholders, and you will not be tied to any one specific industry vertical or project type. In short, you will have the opportunity to experience and work on a wide range of projects early in your career.
The Data & Analytics practice is based within the Forensic and Litigation Consulting segment and has teams in Boston, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, DC.
How to apply
On-campus interview (consists of both behavioral and case-based interview questions).*
Round 2: Super Day
- Typically, we host a team dinner the evening before to meet members of the team
- The interview day consists of 3-4 individual interviews (case based)*
*Due to the current environment, to keep everyone safe and healthy, all interviews for fall 2020 will be conducted virtually.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in business, computer science, engineering, or information systems
- Permanent US work authorization
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a high-paced, multi-task environment with attention to detail;
- Ability to interface with team members and client personnel in demanding, deadline-driven situations;
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal), mathematical, and organizational skills;
- Flexibility with respect to assigned tasks and engagements due to challenging deadlines, changing deliverables, and evolving task priorities;
- Ability and desire to utilize technology to solve complex problems;
- Familiarity with programming languages (SQL, VBA, Python, Java) and other database applications are preferred, but not required;
- Strong work ethic, eagerness to learn, and motivation to succeed;
- Flexibility to travel is required.
At this time our Spring recruiting efforts have concluded. We will update this site with our available positions in August of 2021.